October 13 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
October 18 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
October 19 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
October 20 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
AIM-ing for Proficiency!
Date: August 13th, 2015 and August 14th, 2015
Truman High School
31455 28th Ave. S.
Federal Way, WA 98003
Date & Time
Discover the power of the AIM for teaching Spanish!
The Accelerative Integrated Methodology (AIM) is a literacy approach that uses effective strategies and techniques to accelerate language acquisition in a fun and creative environment. Through its multimodal design, the AIM provides support for all learners with varying learning styles, intelligences and strengths. The AIM has proven successful at ensuring an inclusive second language classroom.
This workshop is designed for Spanish teachers (SSL) of students in grades 6-8.
*Washington State-Approved Clock Hour Offering, Workshop, or In-service.
Special Bundled Price
Make sure you have the resources you need to implement the AIM in your language classroom: bundle your training with an AIM Teaching Kit and SAVE $75!
Any workshop day bundled with a kit purchase – receive $75 dollars off!
*For Bundled Price: Register by July 31, 2015.
To order a bundle please call us at 1-800-668-6288 (North America) or 1-604-984-0015 (International).
This interactive and practical workshop will give you the opportunity to discover and try some of the AIM’s innovative techniques. You will learn how to:
- Get your students speaking Spanish and use gestures to establish (painlessly!) a Spanish-only classroom environment from the very first day of classes
- Encourage language production from all students at all levels
- Scaffold activities to ensure maximum student confidence and success
- Use music and choreography to create an active and engaging classroom environment
- Work with AIM plays at the beginning levels and utilize the effectiveness of a story-based approach
- Introduce basic language manipulation activities
In this workshop aimed at teachers with prior experience, the facilitator will continue to focus on the unique tools and strategies used in an AIM classroom. Topics covered will include:
- How to maximize use of gestures and have students speaking with you at all times
- How to implement story retelling and story extension activities
- How to correct work with an emphasis on error analysis as a way to refine grammar knowledge in context
Lisa Shurtz (B.A.) (AIM Certified Teacher) is a World Languages teacher from Berkeley, California. She currently teaches French and Spanish at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley. She has been teaching for over twenty years; in World Languages, English Language Development and within Spanish Bilingual and Immersion programs. She is passionate about teaching languages to promote better understanding and integration across cultures. She was introduced to the AIM in 2008 and since then has taught exclusively with the AIM. She was one of the pioneers of the AIM for Spanish and is keen to share her excitement for the AIM with other language teachers. Currently an AIM Certified Teacher, Lisa presents at AIM Summer Institutes and is happy to share her thoughts about how to use the AIM successfully in the classroom with any and all. She can be reached at [email protected]