September 28 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
September 29 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
October 13 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
October 18 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
An Introduction to the AIM for Beginning AIM Mandarin Teachers!
Date: August 20, 2015 to August 21, 2015
9:00am-3:00pm each day
Continental breakfast at 8:30am
Discover the power of the AIM for teaching Mandarin!
The Accelerative Integrated Methodology (AIM) is a literacy approach that uses effective strategies and techniques to accelerate language acquisition in a fun and creative environment. Through its multimodal design, the AIM provides support for all learners with varying learning styles, intelligences and strengths. Embedded in the design of the program are many principles of Universal Design for Learning. The AIM has proven successful at ensuring an inclusive second language classroom.
This workshop is designed for Mandarin teachers of beginning learners in grades K-8 (ages 4-13).
Special Bundled Price
Make sure you have the resources you need to implement the AIM in your language classroom: bundle your training with an AIM Teaching Kit and SAVE $95!
Workshop Registration + Teaching Kit $275 + $495 = $770, you pay $675.
For Bundled Price: Register by May 30, 2015.
To order a bundle please call us at 1-800-668-6288 (North America) or 1-604-984-0015 (International).
This interactive and practical workshop will give you the opportunity to discover and try some of the AIM’s innovative techniques. You will learn how to:
- Get your students speaking Mandarin and use gestures to establish (painlessly!) a Mandarin-only classroom environment from the very first day of classes
- Encourage language production from all students at all levels
- Scaffold activities to ensure maximum student confidence and success
- Use music and choreography to create an active and engaging classroom environment
- Work with AIM plays at the beginning levels and utilize the effectiveness of a story-based approach
- Introduce basic language manipulation activities
- Use the AIM to teach reading in Chinese, as well as the importance of pinyin and character recognition
The facilitator will continue to focus on the unique tools and strategies used in an AIM classroom. Topics covered will include:
- How to maximize use of gestures and have students speaking with you at all times
- How to implement story retelling and story extension activities
- How to correct work with an emphasis on error analysis as a way to refine grammar knowledge in context
Jen McKinney, (B.A., Dip.Ed., M.Ed.), is a practising Certified AIM Teacher, the CEO of AIM Language Learning Australia and New Zealand, and the head facilitator for AIM in Australasia. She has more than 20 years of experience teaching languages, including French, German, Japanese and Mandarin, from kindergarten to grade 12. Working with a team of Mandarin teachers, Jen was the project leader responsible for developing and producing the AIM for Mandarin. She regularly hosts conferences and workshops providing AIM training for Mandarin teachers. Holding a master’s degree in “How gesture-based approaches support the teaching of languages”, Jen works as a language consultant in schools and has delivered keynote addresses at numerous conferences.